Sunday, March 2, 2014

Transgressing over Transfiguration



Mathew 17:1-9; Exodus 24:12-18

        I have been ordained over 30 years. This means I have either written or heard over 30 sermons on The Transfiguration. Monday morning I pulled a few of them out and reviewed my efforts. These sermons included a  mountain top experiences while leading a youth retreat; wishful thinking in my pre-dating life; and words of wisdom from Roy Hargrove, a jazz trumpet player who managed to get himself arrested for possession of marijuana not long after our  conversation.
        After not finding inspiration from my past attempts at this text, I decided perhaps the best way to legally understand the high brought about by the Transfiguration was to hike up Humpback and wait for God to give me a word of inspiration. I drove up 250 only to discover you already know. The Parkway is closed in the winter.
        Most people would have been discouraged by this turn of events, but my philosophy has always been a glass half empty containing Diet Coke, is better than a full glass of anything else.  Instead of being disheartened by the closure of the road, I stared deeply into the very abyss of that sign and prayed for a heavenly clue.  I carefully examined each letter. C-L-O-S-E-D. I tried to find a clue by rearranging the letters into new words. “Declos”, “Cosled”, “Seclod”. Those words work well in crossword puzzles when nothing else fits but they offered no divine inspiration. I thought perhaps each letter stood for a word which would reveal the message. “C” Christ, “L” loved, “O” others,  “S” scattering “E” established, “D” decorum. Christ loved others scattering established decorum. That would preach any Sunday. But I was sure there was more to be discovered than the obvious.   
For what seemed like an eternity, or the length of any song by Justin Bieber, I stared at the sign.  “Closed”; “Do not enter”; “Go another way”.  What was God telling me?
And then it was so clear. Sitting on that road going nowhere, a revelation was revealed. If this road is closed, then there must be another way to find my destination.
Raise your hands if you got up this morning and over a cup of coffee you said to your loved one, “I am so excited to go to church and hear a sermon on The Transfiguration”. Unless you have a Catholic background or happen to be from Louisiana, you probably didn’t realize Tuesday is Mardi Gras. You probably didn’t remember Ash Wednesday is this week until it was mentioned in the announcements. Lent is upon us and most of us haven’t given it a thought.
I know Lent has not attained the commercial success of some of our other religious holidays. Lent is more an in-house season. Lent is when ministers are suppose to get reflective and lead you on a journey deep inside your soul only to discover we are not really sure why we wanted to go there. That is why the Sunday before Lent highlights the Transfiguration. This revelation linking the old and the new is all wrapped up in mystery and high drama. The Transfiguration hints that something is about to be revealed and if we are brave enough to look for holy answers we might discover Easter as something we never imagined possible. Seriously, how often does that happen? No matter what we do during Lent, don’t we generally end up believing what we have always believed before Lent? Has the Lenten journey ever altered your understanding of God, or sin, or salvation, or even the cross?
I pondered these questions as I sat before that sign which told me not to enter. Was I celebrating the sign because I had nothing more to say about the disciples being dumbstruck by the presence of Moses and Elijah? Or was I celebrating the sign because much like the disciples I don’t want to imagine Jesus in ways that might not be comfortable or familiar.
It is really safer to ignore Lent or at least celebrate Lent in a way that doesn’t push us out of our comfort zones. That is why for many Lent is no little more than making resolutions that are forgotten long before Holy Week? What would happen if we just ignore Lent?
I got out of my car and approached the gate blocking my path. An amazing thought occurred to me. While I could not drive my car on the Parkway, there was nothing stopping me from walking around the gate and proceeding up the road. I parked my car and began to walk. I walked in the middle of the road knowing full well nothing was going to encumber my journey. I didn’t go far.  When I reached the first observation point I stood and admired Rockfish Valley. I noticed some things I had never seen before. I laughed at the sign that had tried to impede my adventure until it dawned on me in order to make the journey I had to come without my car. I had to walk alone. I had to do it differently. And that is when I got it.
There is nothing wrong with Lent. The problem is me. I have always approached Lent the same old way and I have always gotten the same old results. I was too easily detoured from trying a new path.  Maybe I was afraid of what the wilderness offers. Maybe I was afraid of seeing sin and salvation and the cross and even God from a whole new perspective. This year I am taking a new road.
What about you? You want to join me? You can’t take my path but maybe you can do something different from last year.  If your Lent experience only involves giving something up, switch it around. Instead of giving something up, try doing something new, preferably something healthy. If your Lenten experience revolves around reading the prayers of others, then sit down and write your own prayers. If Lent has always made you reflective and gloomy, then do something that makes you joyful. If you have never tried Lent before, then I invite you to come to the church every Wednesday evening at 7:00 and join some of your fellow church members on a guided tour through the concepts of grace, truth, compassion, darkness and reconciliation. Then, when we are ready, we might even wash each other’s feet.
This year will be different. No transfigurations, no meaningless rituals, just a walk down the road looking for God.  I can’t wait to discover where God and I will meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment