Sunday, November 16, 2014

Winning the Lottery


Matthew 25:14-30
 
        I have never played the lottery. I have never had the rush that must come from scratching that little card that briefly offers the hope of instant riches. I have never been to Las Vegas. I’ve never experienced the thrill folks must get from Texas Hold’em. I can’t even remember buying a half and half ticket at a high school football game. I wish my reasons for not playing these games of chance were based on some deep moral conviction. But the truth is, I am not a big fan of long shots, particularly when my money on the line. More importantly, I would be a bookie’s delight. Once I lose, be it golf, tennis, or even Go Fish with my grandchildren, I am obsessed with getting even. Las Vegas depends on pigeons like me showing up in droves. In other words, I can relate to the poor guy in this morning’s parable who refused to invest money he was given by his master.
        Let’s review the story. The owner of a huge farm decides to take a year off and do some traveling. He brings in three of his workers and says to them, “Boys, I am going to be gone for a while and want you to take care of things. I am going to entrust part of my fortune to you and I want you to treat it properly.” To the first he gave five talents, the second was given two talents, and the last worker was given one talent. A year later, the owner returned, and the workers reported back to him. The worker with five talents had doubled his investment. Likewise the second worker had turned his two talents into four. The third worker had placed his investment in the ground and returned exactly what he had been given. The owner was furious with him. He called the worker worthless and tossed him off the farm.  
        This seems like a pretty simple parable with a pretty simple meaning. Use the talents God gives you, and God will be pleased. Waste those talents, and you risk discovering God’s wrath. But, I also believe there is more to this parable than meets the eye.
        Let’s begin with the absurdity of the story. The audience is a bunch of farmers and fishermen who have taken a long lunch break from their duties to get a chance to hear this young rabbi who has captured the imagination of the people of Galilee. These are hard working folks who barely make enough each day to feed their families. They understand the role of the workers in the story. What they could not possibly comprehend is the advance each worker was given. 
        A talent was a huge amount of money. Some scholars place the value of a talent at around $1,000 dollars. The footnote in my NRSV identifies a talent as 15 years of wages. Let’s put that into a language we all understand. Let’s say a person makes make $50,000 a year. Multiply that times 15. No need to pull out your calculators. That would be $750,000. But, that was only the amount given the last worker. Worker number two was entrusted with $1.5 million, and the first worker was handed $3,750,000.  Talk about winning the lottery. Only the payout wasn’t over 20 years. The owner handed over the complete sum, trusted them to do the right thing, and off he went on his cruise.
        Can you imagine what the original hearers of this story must have thought? They barely made enough to scrape by. All they knew was farming or fishing. When they heard this story I am sure they punched their neighbor and said, “Give me that kind of money, and I would spend it a thousand ways and take my chances when the owner comes back.” How could these folks be expected to understand such an absurd tale?
Imagine you are the third worker. An advance of fifteen years of labor is suddenly placed in your hands. Would you try Real Estate or stocks and bonds? Would you place the money in some low risk savings account? Would you create a new business? What would you do with this incredible windfall? In today’s crazy economy, the safest approach might be to bury it and come back a year later. That is what I would do. I would play it safe. Nothing ventured, nothing lost. That is too much money to be messing around with. Fortunately, there are other members of my trade who are much more creative than yours truly.
        I read recently about a minister who publicly illustrated the possibilities of this parable. He took $10,000 out of the church’s savings, then after telling this parable, gave $100 to each person in the pews. He told them they had 90 days to invest the money in God’s work. I guess the markets must have been better than they are now, because after 90 days the results were incredible. The initial investment had doubled. In addition, a number of new ministries were created. Their success was so great the church was invited to DateLine to tell its story. Other churches considered doing this same thing as part of their stewardship program. And why not? These folks seemed to completely understand the deep-reaching meaning of this parable. They were given a gift and they multiplied it to God’s glory. It all sounds great, except I have a suspicious mind. The more I thought about this church the more I began to ask myself what had really happened. I know the money was doubled; I realize new ministries were hatched. But where was the risk? Who among us wouldn’t take a chance with “house money”?   
        While I have never been to Las Vegas, I suspect if you are going to get out alive, you need to be playing with someone’s money other than your own. Folks who enjoy gambling tell me the secret is to decide how much you can afford to lose and never exceed that number. They suggest walking into a game with only $100 in your pocket. If you lose it, walk away from the table and count the experience itself as worth 100 bucks. If you are fortunate and actually make a few bucks, you can enjoy the experience longer, because you are playing with the house’s money. The key is to remember your limit and enjoy the ride. 
        The truth behind the parable Jesus told has nothing to do with house money. The first man was given the equivalent of 75 years of wages; the second, 30 years; the third 15 years. Then the owner said, “How will you invest what you have been given?” Think about it…75 years, 30 years, 15 years.
        Some of you are getting close to or have passed your 75th birthday. What part of your life has not been a gift from God? Some of you can still remember your 30th birthday. What part of your life has not been a gift from God? What if suddenly we were 15 all over again? I am not sure when I was 15 I had any real concept of who God was or what God expects. My motivation for believing was based more on fear than grace. But I still had some understanding of how blessed I was.   
        This parable is not about playing with “house money”. It is about understanding who we are and whose we are. It is about professing that our life is not only a gift from God, our life is an investment made by God. This parable is asking what sort of risk will we take to see a return in God’s investment.
        I suspect most of us think of ourselves as more sinner than saint. We see ourselves as under qualified or inadequate to do the task God has set before us. I find that kind of amazing. When I look out on this congregation, I can see the gifts God has bestowed upon each of you. God has invested a lot of years in some of us. Now God is waiting for the payout. Each one of us has won the lottery. Each of us has been blessed with a gift, a talent, waiting to be shared. 
        A while back I was talking with Irene, the wonderful woman who is downstairs every Sunday working with our children and grandchildren. Sometimes no one comes but she always sits patiently, just in case a family is late. I asked her how she found the strength to dedicate her life to children who often are noisy, often misbehave, and demand more attention than I might be willing to give. Irene said, “This is what God wants me to do.” 
        Imagine if all of us could be as open to God’s gift as Irene. Three things would happen.
        First, there would be more saints than sinners.
        Second, the army needed to bring about God’s peaceable kingdom would swell with recruits.
        Third, the cemeteries would not be so crowded with unused treasures.
        You are a child of God, gifted with treasures beyond your imagination. God knew what God was doing when God created you. Don’t bury those God given talents behind hollow excuses. Become the treasure God intended you to be.
                                                                                        Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment