Sunday, September 13, 2015

Who Am I?


Mark 8:27-38
 
Before his death, Paul Harvey used to finish off a well told anecdote with the line, “Now you know the rest of the story.”  I always found these little tidbits to history enlightening.  Often when we read scripture, we end too soon and fail to capture “the rest of the story”.  By doing so, we stop short of fully appreciating the gospel message.
One of the great moments in the Gospels would appear to be Peter’s affirmation of Jesus as Messiah.  It began with Jesus asking a simple question, “Who do people say that I am?”  Much like children in the back of a car the disciples saw this as a chance to break the monotony of their long walk to the next town.  One disciple hollered out, “I heard a guy a couple of days ago say you were John the Baptist come back from the dead.”  Another answered, “I can top that.  I heard someone say you were Elijah.”  Then the responses got out of hand.  “A guy back in Galilee said you were Moses”.  Jesus stopped, turned, looked them square in the eyes, and said, “But who do you think that I am?”  Peter jumped right to the front of the line and replied, “You are the Messiah.”
  Peter had gone for the jackpot.  He had evoked the sacred title, once given to King David and now reserved for the one that would restore Israel to its past prominence.  Peter had called Jesus, the Christ, the Anointed One, The Son of David.  Peter had reached back and dared to claim that Jesus was the One for which Israel had been praying since days of Isaiah. 
Usually we stop with the Confession of Peter.  We praise the disciple for his insights.  While the rest of the disciples seemed to have their heads in the sand, you could count on Peter to come up with the right answer.  Or did he?  Let’s hear the rest of the story.
Once everyone had given Peter a round of high fives, Jesus began to teach.  If Peter had given the right answer, why did there need to be additional teaching?  We all remember the way the routine goes.  The teaching takes place, the test is announced, we study the night before and then we take the test.  If we pass the test we move on to the next lesson.  Peter submitted what we all believe was the correct answer.  So why did Jesus return to square one?  In this case, the correct answer opened up a whole new can of worms.      
Jesus’ lesson began with these words.  “The Son of Man must undergo great suffering, be rejected and killed and then after three days rise again.”  Peter took Jesus aside and said, “Wait a minute.  That is not the plan.  We all agreed you are the Messiah, the Son of David. Let me tell you how this is going to work.  When the time is right we will gather all the folks in Galilee and head for Jerusalem.  The Passover might be a nice time.  The city will be filled with Jews from all over the region.  We will send some folks ahead to make the necessary arrangements.  Maybe we will have a parade.  We will put you on a white horse and cover you with a purple robe.  We know you talk all about that pacifist stuff so we won’t ask you to carry a sword but with the horse and the robe you will at least look like David.  We will march to the temple and declare that the reign of God has begun.  People will recognize you as the Messiah and run Herod and his Roman friends out of town.”
Jesus looked at Peter and said, “You have it all wrong.  You have human not divine things on your mind.”  The gospels of Luke and Matthew spend a great deal of time on the temptation of Jesus in wilderness.  Mark barely gives it two verses.  But here in chapter 8 we discover temptation is always before Jesus and his disciples.  Peter tempts him with an ancient title, Son of David.  But Jesus chooses to be called Son of Man. Peter believes that the anointed one can avoid suffering, rejection and death.  Peter believes there can be power without pain and glory without humiliation.  Peter had heard the stories of the Messiah all his life.  No where did he remember it mentioning suffering and death.  But Jesus never claimed to be the Jewish Messiah; he claimed to be the Son of Man.   What is the difference?  The Messiah, the son of David was distained to restore the glory of Israel.  Jesus, the son of man, was destined to overcome the sins of humankind.
Jesus said to the disciples, “Those who want to follow me must deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow me.”   If you are a regular at church, this is a phrase you have heard a hundred times. The cross has become the icon of Christendom.  The cross stands as the most recognizable symbol in our sanctuary.  Many wear the cross as piece of jewelry to adorns ones neck.  Taking up the cross identifies us as followers of Christ.  But could it be that this idea of taking up the cross has become somewhat sanitized?
When Jesus originally spoke these words the cross had not become the universal symbol for his movement.  Quite the contrary.  The cross was the symbol of Roman tyranny.  In order to nail home a point, often the roads of the Roman Empire would be littered with the bodies of thieves, bandits, murderers or anyone who acted out against Roman authority.  The cross symbolized fear and oppression.  If one broke the Roman laws, this might be the fate that awaits them.  Crucifixion was a not only a very efficient form of punishment, it was a very effective form of intimidation.  It reinforced the idea that death was the most awful thing in the world and people with any common sense should do everything in their power to avoid it. Yet Jesus wanted the disciples to embrace their greatest fear.
When I ten years old I encountered a very wise man who taught me a valuable life lesson.  I loved baseball and desperately wanted to play shortstop. But at my age, I was playing in a league with players older and faster than me. My coach took a huge leap of faith by playing me at this critical position.  But I had a problem. I was afraid of being hit by the ball.  My coach had an answer for my fears. He would take me out onto our rock filled practice field and hit ground ball after ground ball to me.  He didn’t hit the ball hard but he refused to let me wear a glove.  I had to stop the ball anyway possible.  Now anyone who has every played the infield knows the key to catching a ground ball is to get in front of the ball and keep your eye on it until the ball is safely in your grasp.  I used any part of my body to stop those erratically bouncing balls.  I got hit and occasionally bruised.  But eventually, I lost my fear of the ball.  Once on a smooth infield with my glove on my hand, I stood at my position and dared hitters to send their best stuff my way.
Some would insist that coach was crazy. I believe he given me a life lesson in approaching and controlling fear. You tell me. Is there anything worse than living in fear?  Jesus knew if the disciples let fear run their lives, then fear would become their god.  Their standard for behavior would be how much something frightened them.  If the task involved no risk, then they would do it.  But if fear ruled their lives, they would surrender before even stepping on the field of play.
Peter……. and most of us …..want a Messiah.  We want God to step out for us and pave the way to a life void of rocky fields and bruises.  But that is not what Jesus offered.  He said, “I cannot  give you a life without pain and heartache.  But I can offer you a life where you can face and overcome your greatest fears.”  Jesus said to Peter………. and to us, “Wake up.  Stop playing it safe. Pick up that cross, pick up whatever it is that causes you to be afraid and follow me.”
Barbara Brown Taylor writes, “Whatever it is that scares you to death, whatever it is that makes you do anything at all if it will go away, that is your cross.  If you leave it lying there, it will kill you.  If you run away from it, then you deny God the chance to show you the greatest mystery of all. Within the darkness of our worst fear, we can find the door to abundant life.”
Like Peter, we all want a Messiah.  Like Peter, we all want a life free from suffering and pain.  We want church to be uncomplicated and some how disconnected from the rest of life.  As Peter discovered, Jesus came to save us from whatever it is that causes the fear which manipulates our lives.  Perhaps that is why God rests on the Sabbath.  God is needed mostly on Monday through Saturday when fear ruins our days and suspicion captivates our nights. Fear is timeless and my guess is that each of us has something of which we are deathly afraid.  Jesus says to us, “Stop running, pick it your cross up, and follow me.” 
I am not suggesting that a little fear is a good thing to have. Otherwise we would make some very stupid choices. But no one can live in constant fear. Jesus offers us the chance to transform our fear into hope. Imagine picking up your cross. Imagine converting that which you fear into something you control. Imagine living the rest of the story, through the grace of God who makes all things possible.                           Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment