Sunday, May 3, 2020

The Meal



Deb is a wonderful cook. I even look forward to leftovers. But sometimes I enjoy getting out and sharing a meal with friends. The type of food isn’t that important. I would never be a much of a food critic. If the meal comes quickly and is hot, I am satisfied. I’m not a connoisseur of fine wines. As long as real Cokes are served I am happy. What I love is the company. I love to hear stories even if I have heard them five times before. I love the laughter, the joy, the moment when the clock stops and is replaced by that which is timeless.

This morning, a meal was supposed to be prepared for our community. The Chalice should be filled. The bread should be present. But the table is bare. The pews are empty. How can one prepare a meal in the midst of enemies?

This virus, this enemy, has turned our lives upside down. I was speaking to a good friend of mine who has become a new grandparent. He has only seen the child from a distance. I cannot imagine not hugging my grandchildren. Now this enemy, this virus, has taken away some of our most precious joys. Social distancing is saving our lives but at what cost. Spontaneous joy has been replaced by canned laughter. Life was made to be lived. It needs to be fresh. And now we sit behind closed doors fearing an enemy we cannot see.

        My greatest joy being a minister comes from behind this table. When I was ordained my official title was minister of Word and Sacrament. My creative juices love the wrestling matches with scripture which result in the weekly Sunday monologue. But nothing can replace the holy moment when I offer the broken body of Christ to a people longing to be fed, or made whole, or just reminded of the amazing gift of God’s grace.

        I have such wonderful stories that have emerged from this table. When I was seven I wanted to join my church just so I could take communion. My first year of ordination on a Christmas night I had a devote Muslim stand before me and asked for the bread and cup. I once served 15 shut-ins during an afternoon. At that church we served wine. Only time in my life I have been drunk. I served my daughter on her wedding day. I served my father the day he retired. For forty years I have broken the bread and poured the wine. Nothing has stopped me until now. These are extraordinary times. To serve you would be to endanger you. This is a table of life, not death. What are we to do?

The Psalmist writes, “You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies.”

Sometimes I forget what makes this meal sacred. I say the words, I break the bread, I offer the cup, but it is not my body, it is not my blood, it is not even my words.

I want you listen carefully to these instructions.  Go to your kitchen. Find a piece of bread, a cup with your favorite beverage, and bring it back to this spot. Now hit the pause button. When you hit play I will still be here.

Are you ready? Let us begin.

“What shall we render unto the Lord? Let us take the cup of salvation and call upon the name of the Lord. Taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed be the Lord.

Choir sings Come to the Table of Grace #507 (grace/joy)

Let us pray – Gracious God, unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known and from whom no secrets are hidden, cleanse the thoughts of our hearts that we may perfectly love you and each other. Amen.

Lord have mercy upon us.

        Christ have mercy upon us.

Lord have mercy upon us.

Beloved in the Lord draw near to the holy table. On the same night in which he was betrayed, our Lord took bread, broke it and said, “Take, eat. This is my body which is broken for you. Then he took the cup. “This cup is a new covenant of grace. Drink and remember me.”

Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of heaven and earth. Glory be to you. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.

Let us pray together.

Lamb of God who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Lamb of God who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Lamb of God who takest away the sins of the world, grant us you peace. Amen.

Now my friends take the bread and eat. This is the body of Christ broken for you. Do this in remembrance of him.

This cup is new covenant of grace. Drink all of it.

Let us pray – Our Father……

The peace of Christ be with you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment