Sunday, May 5, 2019

Dancing in the Dark


Psalm 30

 

        Most of the time, I love the darkness. On any given night, in our little piece of heaven, the stars give adequate light for a midnight stroll. But last Sunday evening was not one of those times. I had just watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones where the combined forces of four royal houses were making a desperate last stand against the Army of the Dead. Hero after hero died trying to stop the unholy terror only to be resurrected into the enemy’s force. It was both thrilling and horrific. And then it was over. I clicked off the TV and made my way to the bedroom to recover from an exhausting day. I knew I would dream. I knew the dreams might not be pleasant, but I was not prepared for what was about to happen. I was awakened from my deep sleep by a shrill voice. “Louie, there is an animal on the deck.”

        Deb had only watched ten minutes of Game of Thrones so I knew her imagination was not the result of some TV fantasy. I was also aware that Deb does not share my love of everything dark.  Less than thrilled, I got out of bed, grabbed a flash light and shone it out on the deck. I heard a noise and figured it was a squirrel. I retreated to my bed and drifted back to my dreams of dragons and monsters. Again, in the midst of my nightmare, I was hysterically interrupted, “It’s not a squirrel. It’s a bear. Do something.”   (stop)

        Fantasy can be eliminated by turning on the lights. But in life, the lights are already on. I have yet to discover a Psalm that serves as an antidote to a bear in the backyard. But I do believe the Psalms have a way of helping us through nightmares that may or may not be dreams.

        O Lord you rescued my soul from death. You restored me to life from among those who would destroy me.

Like any great literature most biblical stories dance from tragedy to redemption. An enslaved people escape death through parted waters. A bald lover rediscovers his strength. A boy slays a giant with a slingshot. A crucified rabbi is resurrected.  A first round loser wins a national championship. Okay UVA’s victory was not biblical, but it certainly was a manifestation of how the dawn is always before us if we have the courage to open our eyes.

        The truth is, most days a bear is not in the back yard. Deb and I have lived in Stoney Creek eight years, four months and five days. To be exact we have been here 3,221 nights. 3220 of them have been bear free. The same came be said for most of nightmares. I spend a lot of time with folks in the hospital. Let’s face it, we are getting older and some of our parts are starting to break down. You would be surprised how often in a private moment a person facing death has said to me, “God has been so good to me.” This is not a lament of resignation. It is the courage to speak the truth. What greater faith can there be than in the midst of death to sing a song of redemption?

        The Psalmist sang, You have turned my mourning into dancing. You have taken off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy. My soul will praise you and I will not be silent. I will give thanks to you forever.

        In a world which surrounds itself with drama, the Psalmist is asking us to sing a song of remembrance. Psalm 30 could have been sung by someone who woke up to discover the bear had left. But I think there are far more reasons to sing. Remember your first friend. Remember turning a double play. Remember your first kiss. Remember your first job offer. Remember smelling the ocean. Remember your first child’s birth. Remember climbing Humpback with your daughter. Remember watching the sun rise.  Remember hearing Eva Cassidy sing. Remember the silence that breaks into our noise. Remember holy words that break into our discontent.

        O God, shine forth into the darkness of our night.

        Melt the frost that encompasses our soul.

        Wake us into the dawn of a new day,

        Fill us with colors that we have too long ignored.

        Turn our mourning into dancing.

        Turn our screaming into singing,

        Help us remember how good You have been to us.

 

                                                Amen.

 

 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment