Sunday, January 19, 2020

Songs and Words of Martin Luther King Jr.



        I have the audacity to believe that people everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits. I believe what self-centered men have torn down, God-centered people can build up.

        You most certainly recognize this as a quote from Martin Luther King. This week-end we will have multiple opportunities to hear both the “Mountain Top” and “Dream Speech”. Before King became a public voice, he was a preacher. We rarely have the chance to hear the sermons preached each Sunday at Dexter Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama. At Dexter Dr. King perfected his message. In this church he also joyfully sang with the choir. He didn’t have a great voice. Ralph Abernathy said, “We love Martin for his words but not his singing.” None-the-less, Dr. King appreciated music and used it in his sermons. He had two favorite singers, Mahalia Jackson and Odetta. That is a pretty high bar. I have Bill, Kathleen, John, and Marianne which isn’t bad. Listen, as hopefully we inspire you with excerpts from King’s sermons and the songs he loved.

 

Luke 10:29 - And Who is My Neighbor?

        The Samaritan had a piercing insight into that which is beyond race, religion, and nationalism. One of the great tragedies of humanities long trek is that we limit our neighborly concerns to our tribe. The God of the early Old Testament was a tribal God. “Thou shall not kill” meant don’t kill a fellow Israelite but for God’s sake kill the Philistine. Greek democracy embraced a certain aristocracy but not the slaves who built the city. The universalism at the center of the Declaration of Independence, “all are created equal” meant all white folk were created equal. What are the devastating consequences of such a narrow, tribal attitude? If Americans are only concerned about their nation, Americans will not be concerned about the peoples of Asia, Africa, and South America. Isn’t this why we engage in war without the slightest sense of guilt? If I murder a fellow American it is a crime. If I murder the citizen of another nation, it is an act of heroic virtue. We don’t see folks as humans. We see them as Chinese or Americans, Christian or Muslim, Blacks or White. The priest and the Levite saw only a bleeding body. What if the Samaritan had seen only a Jew? He didn’t. He saw another human.   

(Bill – If I can help somebody)

 

I John 4:18 – Perfect Love Cast out Fear

        Our faith endows us with the conviction that we are not alone in this vast uncertain universe. Beneath and above the shifting sands of time and the uncertainties that darken our days is a wise and loving God. This universe is not a tragic expression of meaningless chaos but a marvelous display of orderly cosmos. We are not just a wisp of smoke from limitless smoldering. We are created in the image of God. By God we are given wisdom for guidance, strength for protection, and boundless love. With a surging fullness God moves us forward to fill the little creeks and bays of our lives with unlimited recourses. Yet we remain fatigued by pessimism and our neurotic fear of our demise. Death is not the ultimate evil. We only need to fear living outside God’s love and that can never happen.

        One of the dedicated participants in our bus protest was Mother Pollard. Although poverty stricken and uneducated she has an amazing understanding of God’s power. A Sunday after a difficult week in which I was arrested and received many threatening phone calls at home, I tried to stand before you and convey strength and courage through my words. But inwardly I was depressed and fear-stricken. Mother Pollard came to the front of the church and said, “Come here son, something is wrong with you.” Trying to disguise my fears I retorted, “Nothing is wrong, I feel fine.” But she knew better. “You can’t fool me. I knows something is wrong. Is it we ain’t  doing enough? Is those white folks bothering you? Martin, we are trying to be with you all the way, but even if we ain’t, God’s gonna take care of you.”

        Her words continue to remind me our faith can transform the whirlwind of despair into a warm and reviving breeze of hope. Let this motto be etched on our hearts:

        Fear Knocked at the door.

        Faith Answered.

        There was no one there.

 (Kathleen  -  There is a Balm in Gilead)

  

Luke 11:5A Man came at Midnight Asking for Bread

        In this parable a man knocks on the door of a friend at midnight to ask for bread. At first no one answers. But the neighbor is not deterred. He knocks a second and third time. Finally his call for help is answered. Many people continue to knock on the door after midnight, even after the church has bitterly disappointed them. They knock because they have been told that the church has a word of hope. They have complex problems and no one has answers yet the church claims to have something the rest of the world cannot offer. Young people knock who are perplexed by the uncertainties of life. They are confused by daily disappointments and disillusioned by the ambiguities of history. Women come to the door because we have made them second class citizens. The discouraged come to the door and knock. They see life as a tragicomedy where nothing changes but the costumes and scenery. The weary come to the door. They come to the church longing for a place of peace and find the choir is singing, “Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.” Some who knock are tormented by death. They are living in the evening of their life and cannot imagine another sunrise.

        Midnight is a difficult hour, especially when no one will come to the door. But they continue to knock. They desire to see the dawn and our eternal message has always been, the dawn will come. Our fore-parents realized this. They were never unmindful of midnight because they could never forget the rawhide whip of the overseer. In the darkness they sang, “Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen, Gloria Hallelujah!

        It was the belief in the dawn that kept the slaves faithful. It was the belief that God is good and just that kept them knocking on the door. People are still knocking. Despite disappointment, sorrow, and despair they are knocking. When will we open the door and offer the joy that comes in the morning?

 (John  - Precious Lord)

  

Micah 6:8 – Do Justice, Love Kindness, Walk Humbly

        My personal trials have taught me the value of unmerited suffering. I have tried to make suffering a virtue if only to save myself from bitterness. Some consider it a stumbling block, others foolishness. I am convinced it is the power of God within me. Redemptive suffering has brought me closer to God. I have always believed in the personality of God. But until recently the idea of a suffering God was less than satisfying. Now, in the midst of personal trials, the suffering of God has given me inner calm. In the lonely and dark days I hear a voice whispering, “I am with you always.” I have felt the power of God transform the fatigue of my despair into hope. I am convinced the struggle for justice and righteousness is being orchestrated by a power that knows my suffering. When I feel limited by my own strength, I know God has conquered more than life. By defeating death, God is a living God. Therefore I am not discouraged about the future. Every crisis has dangers and opportunities. Every moment presents the world with a new moment for the kingdom of God to reign in the hearts of man. My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

(Marianne – Battle Hymn of the Republic)

No comments:

Post a Comment