Sunday, March 15, 2020

Precious Lord, Take My Hand


Psalm 13

 

        Just before I make my way to the pulpit to conduct a funeral service, the funeral director will hand me a document titled the Clergy Record. It contains among other things the name of the deceased, date of death, and a list of survivors. If someone had handed me a Clergy Record Tuesday it would have read, “Dorothy Jane Gober Andrews, died March 10th, 2020. She was survived by four children, their spouses, seven grandchildren, and four great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband.” Everything on the Clergy Record is correct. But it tells you nothing about my Mom.

        Mom first laid eyes on my father when she was in the eighth grade. The Andrews clan had just moved to Cedartown, Georgia. According to Mom it was love at first sight. Not even World War II could keep them apart. On Dad’s return from Europe, they were married and eventually started a family. Dad ended up in seminary and served three churches. Mom began the most thankless job known to humankind, the wife of a preacher.

        She raised four children. The three girls were a handful. The son was perfect. Mom and Dad were married for over seventy years.  He received all the accolades. She held everything together. Mom was the embodiment of beauty and grace. She surrendered herself to the role of wife and mother and the five of us became better people because of her sacrifice. Last Tuesday, every person she had ever known felt empty as she quietly passed from us. 

This is the story we would like to discover behind each Clergy Record.  But sometimes life deals a cruel hand.

        Thomas Dorsey was a brilliant gospel musician in the 1930’s. His genius as a pianist was known throughout the Midwest. He was the first African-American to transcribe gospel music and make it available to local congregations. Dorsey is known as the Father of Gospel music. His wife’s name was Nettie. She grew up in the church and loved to sing in the choir. Together they composed songs that are still sung in churches today.

        In 1932 Nellie became pregnant with their first child. They were living in a small apartment on Chicago’s Southside. Dorsey had been asked to lead the music at a huge revival in St. Louis. Reluctantly he left Nellie and traveled south. The next evening, after the service was over, he was handed a telephone and heard these devastating words. “Your wife just died.” After making a call to confirm the news a friend drove him back to Chicago. There he learned his wife had gone into labor prematurely. The doctors had delivered a son but could not save Nellie. The following evening, the child died. After burying his wife and child in the same coffin, Dorsey fell apart. He later wrote, “For days I locked myself in my house. I felt God had done me a great injustice. I swore I would never write or sing another gospel song. I decided to use my talents in jazz clubs and drown my sorrow in smoke and alcohol.”

        A few days later Dorsey went to a local music school and asked if he could borrow a piano for the afternoon.  Dorsey wrote, “It was quiet. The late evening sun crept through the windows. I sat down at the piano and my hands began to run over the keys. Then something happened. I felt a peace come over my soul. As I touched the piano I felt I was actually touching God. I found myself playing a melody I had never heard or played before. And then the words just fell into place and I began to sing.”

        Precious Lord, take my hand,

        Lead me on, help me stand.

        I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.

        Through the storm, through the night,

        Lead me on to the light,

        Precious Lord, take my hand,

        Lead me home.

 

(Stop)

 

        When the Clergy Records proclaims, “She lived 93 years and is survived by four children, seven grandchildren, and four great grand children,” the appropriate song of praise is Psalm 100.

                Make a joyful noise to the Lord.

                Worship the Lord with gladness.

                Come into God’s presence with praise.

                For the Lord is good;

                God’s steadfast love endures forever.

                God’s faithfulness is to all generations.

 

        But sometimes the Clergy Record reads, “He lived one day and was preceded in death by his mother.” That is when our Bibles fall open to Psalm 13.

               

How long O Lord will you forget me?

                How long will you hide your face from me?

                How long must I bear pain in my soul?

                Answer Me!

                Give light to my eyes or I shall die.

 

The after a long pause the Psalmist continues.

 

                I trust in your steadfast love.

                My heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

                I will sing to the Lord.

 

        For the Psalmist the pause did cease quickly. Sometimes there is a need to “Rage against the dying of the light.” The uniqueness found in the Psalms of Lament is the rage of the poet against God. Something horrific has happened. The poet believed the tragedy could have been avoided if God had not been absent. Remember the story of Lazarus? When Lazarus died and Jesus finally showed up Martha screamed, “Where were you? My brother would not have died if you had been here.”

       

        Psalms of Lament were not written by a person with a shallow faith. The poet has a deep resounding belief that when she enters “The valley of the shadow of death” the presence of God will be with her. When the poet feels deserted …… betrayed ….. vile words of anger gush forth. “Where were you” is not a question. It is an accusation addressing God’s irresponsible absence.

        Then there is silence as we wait until hell itself freezes over for a response. Eventually the angst begins to cool, the anger begins to withdraw, and our vision begins to return. We extend our hands toward the source of our salvation placing our fingers on the keys of life itself. Quietly, ever so quietly, we hear ourselves begin to sing,

                Hear my cry, hear my call,

                Hold my hand, lest I fall,

                Take my hand, precious Lord,

                Lead me home.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment