Sunday, June 28, 2020

Life Matters


Genesis 22:1-14
 
Week after week I do my best to offer an authentic interpretation of the text.  There can be no dispute that my understanding of scripture is influenced by cultural background, educational training, and experience in life.  While my desire is to be true to the Word, each places a filter upon my eyes and heart.
There is nothing easy about Abraham going to the mountain to sacrifice his son.  If we don’t pay attention, Genesis 22 is a great example of one man’s faith to follow the instructions of God.  But if we pay attention to the details, we find ourselves wrestling with the mindset of Abraham, the complexities of God, and the demands this text places on our beliefs.
The story unfolds on many different levels.  I first heard it when I was a child.  It was presented as the ultimate demand of faith.  The question was simple.  Do you love God more than anything else?  When I was first told this story, I was incapable of understanding its full meaning.  I was nine years old. It was Sunday morning. Yahweh was my guy.  I was constantly reminded that God was King, God was in charge, and God knew things I would never understand. My job was to love God and love my neighbor.  For a nine year old this was not terrible complicated. Of course I loved God.  I went to church every Sunday.    As for my neighbor, he was my best friend.  We played together, went to school together, and spent weekends together.  I loved my neighbor.  If God tested me, I knew I would always be up to the task. 
But children grow up and the demands of being faithful become increasingly complex.  Let me conduct a little test.  If I should inform you God demands the sacrifice of your grandchild as proof of your allegiance, what would you do? 
Begin plans for the sacrifice………….or
Request a membership change.
Now we have officially entered into the complexities of this text.  From my vantage point, as a father and a grandfather, I don’t know how Abraham placed his son on that alter, lifted up a knife, and planned to plunge his weapon into Isaac’s heart.  That may be faith, but it is in contrast to everything I claim God to be.  I understand Christians hold  obedience as sacred, but Abraham did not even offer to take the place of the child.  Do we really worship a God who would ask us to sacrifice our youth as a test of loyalty?  Why would Abraham agree to do this? Let me give you a couple explanations you may or may not find helpful.
The most attractive but I believe the least helpful is to remember that we are talking about a very primitive culture where the death of a child was common.  Half the children born died in their first year of life. Children were not considered human until they reached their 12th birthday. But this was no ordinary boy.  Isaac was a child of promise, the heir of a great nation.  The entire story of Abraham revolved around the birth of Isaac and what the parents went through in order that this birth might occur.   Furthermore the sacrifice of a child was not a Hebrew ritual.  Each Hebrew child was considered precious because each child was understood to be the bearer of destiny.  From the bulrushes of Egypt to the insanity of Herod, every precaution was taken to spare children from death.
A second explanation might be Abraham believed God would save the child.   The couple was called on to prove themselves once again.  Deep down they knew God would not take this promised child, so they dared to call Yahweh’s bluff. Abraham told the mother not to worry.  They would go along with the game convinced at the last moment God, rejoicing over Abraham’s faith, would stop the slaughter.  Certain everything would work out, the father and son go off into the mountains leaving Sarah at home.  God does provide.  Isaac and his faithful father returned home to the loving arms of the anxious but relieved mother.  That sounds plausible except for one very important detail.  Abraham and Isaac returned to an empty home.  While they were in the mountains, Sarah died.  The Midrash tells us she was overcome by a broken heart.
  So we return to the story as told. A heavy hearted Abraham went to the mountains feeling certain he would return without Isaac. It would be hard to come up with any other explanation for his actions. Why did he ever believe killing Isaac would fulfill the wishes of God?  What does this say about Abraham?  More importantly, what does this say about God?
In this story the command and the promise of God are in contradiction with each other.  The promise was Isaac would be the beginning of a great nation.  But the command would end the birth of Israel before it began.  Certainly the argument could be made that Yahweh, as a jealous God demanded complete loyalty.  Certainly one could suggest to Abraham and Sarah the child had become more important than God, hence the test.  But I refuse to believe this argument.  I believe the command of God and the promise of God are never in contradiction.  The supreme directive of the Bible confirms each life is sacred. The message of Jesus was to love one another. If we believe this, even the consideration of taking the life of another is wrong.      
Abraham was not exhibiting faith. He was having a senior moment.  You know what I am talking about.  When you are over 60, you had better start putting your car keys in the same spot or you may find yourself walking. When you are over 60, church directories with pictures are really important because it is amazing how quickly names vacate our mind.  When you are over 60, all of our security codes become the same four numbers. I even write them down and insert them in my wallet. 
Abraham had a senior moment.  Abraham forgot that above everything else God celebrates life.  When God suggested the life of an innocent child was to be used for a sacrifice, the great father of the Hebrew people had a brain freeze.  No questions were asked, no dialogue took place. Abraham just loaded up the donkey, fetched Isaac, and headed for the hills.  This was not faith. This was reaching for the Kool-Aid.   God gave us free will.  We are expected to use that gift with our eyes wide open.  Abraham didn’t pass a test of faith. He miserably failed theology 101 by refusing to question God’s ungodly command.
Remember God informing Abraham that the city of Sodom would be destroyed because of its wickedness?  Abraham went to great lengths to argue with God over the destruction of a city of sinners.  Remember the discussion?  If 100 righteous folks can be found will you spare the city? What about 50? 25?   Finally God agreed if Abrahams could locate 10 righteous folks the fire storm would be called off.  So why did this man who argued for the lives of some pretty unsavory characters fail to offer any resistance when his innocent son was about to be sacrificed?  Why did he give in so easily? Why did Abraham fail to observe the Torah?  Why did he not say to God, “If I kill my son, I mutilate the very image of God?  If I kill my son, I break your sacred commandments.  If I kill my son, I renounce all that is sacred. If I kill my son, I renounce life.” 
Why did Abraham lose his voice?  Why would he not fight for his son?   How could Abraham have forgotten the basic principal of God is always, “Choose life over death!”
Maybe Abraham panicked. Maybe the choice was so ridiculous he was confused. Then again, maybe we are just making excuses for Abraham. So let me ask this. If a parent kills a child, when is our immediate instinct to excuse the parent?
                                                                                     
So what if society kills a child? What happens when children are sacrificed because fixing the education system…….. or making the water pure………. or changing financial and housing restrictions…………. or admitting our history has played favorites………. SEEMS TOO HARD? What happens when Christians claim any discussion concerning saving the life of a child……… or an immigrant………… or a person of color…………… is mixing politics with religion? What happens when we forget God always chooses life?   Another child dies.
Let history record that it was this generation that put an end to such madness.
To God be the glory.  Amen.
                                
 

No comments:

Post a Comment