Sunday, November 8, 2020

“Finding Peace in the Midst of Chaos”

 

John 14:27

        In John’s gospel the role of the disciples is greatly diminished when compared to the other gospels. They observe. They occasionally make comments. Jesus rarely depends on them because he knows their job will only begin when his has been accomplished. If anything, they were interns in training. This does not mean we should dismiss them. Their visions and fears reflect that of any congregation. The disciples were caught between the dreams of Jesus and the reality of their own world. The church continues to occupy this difficult position.

        In John 14 Jesus announced he would not be around much longer. The disciples panicked. They were followers, not leaders. Life without Jesus was unimaginable. Jesus attempted to calm their fears with those words that are most often heard at a funeral, “I am going to prepare a place for you.” The disciples were not interested in Jesus going anywhere. They could not understand t Jesus was talking about his suffering and death, events destined to  happen in the next few days.

A disciple asked, “What are we supposed to do?”

Jesus responded, “Do you love me?”

That was not the answer they expected.

 Jesus continued, “If you love me, keep my commandments. Love each other. Love the folks around you. Then try loving those folks you find it impossible to love.”

The disciples looked down at the ground. What Jesus asked was really hard. They were uncertain they were strong enough to follow his directions.

Jesus said, “I did not say following my path was going to be easy. I know you are living in the midst of chaos. The world has gone crazy. It is hard to know who to believe or trust. All that I have to leave with you is my peace. It is not a peace that the world understands. But is enough to get you through the day. Let not your hearts be troubled. Neither be afraid.” And with that he was gone.    (pause)

Unless you are Rip Van Winkle in the midst of an extended nap, you know the anxiety felt by those disciples. Each week I check the Covid numbers in Nelson County. I wish that I could ignore them but every week I speak with someone with a friend or family member who has been infected. Just this week I found out a beloved professor died from the dreaded disease.

Yesterday I received my first retirement check. I have made it to the Promised Land. I would celebrate but celebrations are difficult when so many folks have lost jobs and are out of work.

For the past year we have heard promises by folks who have answers to Covid, unemployment, the infrastructure, racism, sexism, the national debt, the environment, and any other problem America has encountered over the past 50 year. Deep down in our hearts we know there are no easy answers yet we sit by our TV’s wringing our hands waiting to hear who will officially get to 270 first.  Do you really believe any elected messiah can bring us peace?

We are a deeply divided country. No election is going to change that.

We are a frustrated, angry, and confused people. No magic promises are going change that.

If Jesus was standing among us today, what might he offer as an elixir to our chaos? I think it would be in the form of a question.  “Do you love me?”

How would we respond?

Our church is composed of Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and a few folks who are too worn out to care.

What would our response be if there was an outbreak of Covid within our community? Isolation would be our first priority….. unless patients needed to be transported to the hospital. Some of you would be the drivers. If food was needed, no one would go hungry. If medications were prescribed, someone would go to Waynesboro. We would care for our neighbors without asking how they voted. That’s what you do when you love Jesus.

The same would be true if a neighbor was not able to pay their rent or the electric bill. We would find funds in our emergency relief fund. If that ran out I would send out an email request and this congregation would double the previous balance. Will these acts of compassion bring peace to the Middle East? Will it change the trade deficit or save another whale. Of course not. But it might remind us we are not Republicans, Democrats, or Independents when we choose to come to this house. We are followers of the one who said, “My peace I give you, not as the world understands it, but a peace to calm troubled hearts.”

When we become aware of the pain of another and respond…… the peace of God is present.

When we encounter the rage of another and listen….. the peace of God is present.

When we cry out on behalf of another……the peace of God is present.

When we are able to say to another, “Let not your heart be troubled,” ………….the peace of God is present.

I have been voting in presidential elections since 1972. I knocked on doors on behalf of for Al Gore’s father. I have a long history of voting for folks who lost yet I continue to vote every chance I get. Starting with 1972 I have been told 13 times, “THIS particular presidential race is the most important race in US History.” Every presidential candidate guarantees peace, but none have made good on that promise. Every presidential candidate has told me they would calm my troubled heart. I wish it were so. 

Come January someone will be sworn in as President. If it is not my guy I will be mad. If it is my guy, I know before the summer he will have disappointed me.

Whether you are Democrat, Republican, or Independent, I invite you to embrace one campaign promise that has never been broken.

“Let not your heart be troubled. My peace I give to you.”

To God be the glory.  Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment