Thursday, April 9, 2020

Maundy Thursday Service


 

For some, Easter Sunday seems incomplete without Maundy Thursday/Good Friday. We cannot come to the church so I thought I might offer something that might help fill the void. ~Louie

 

Maundy Thursday Service

Before beginning the experience, you will need a glass, (wine glass if you desire), wine or beverage of your choosing, a cracker or slice of bread. This service will take place in your kitchen or dining room. It is designed for one or two people. Please don’t invite your neighbors. Practice social distancing at all times. (If your computer is not portable, use the table upon which your computer sits.)

 

Prayer –

It is not proper that I come to this table alone, but I have no place else to go.

            It is not right that I break the bread and pour the wine alone, but I shall.

            I do not know the words, but I shall discover them.

            Put your seal on my soul.

            Put your voice on my lips.

            You are my vision,

You are the Lord of my heart.  Amen.

 

Remembering Passover


 

Commentary – The Passover Meal began as an act of defiance that led to liberation. In the midst of death, Yahweh offered life. How appropriate that Jesus’ last meal was The Passover. In remembering The Exodus, Jesus envisioned a way where no way seemed possible. When the meal was finished, Jesus took the bread, lifted the cup, and said “Remember Me”.

 


 

Commentary – When we remember Jesus, we take a moment to forget Pharaoh, forget death, even forget the corona virus.  None of those things go away, yet if we don’t take a moment to go inward, we become swamped by a feeling of helplessness. The greatest tool of tyrants, death, and viruses is the ability to make us feel useless. The bread, the cup, defies that reasoning. When we remember Jesus, we also remember nothing is impossible. When we remember Jesus, we remember a loved one. When we remember Jesus, we remember someone who needs our prayers. Listen to this song by Mary Gauthier as you prepare to defy Pharaoh.

 


 

Communion –

Take the bread/cracker, break it, eat it, and say a prayer for someone you love.

Take the Cup –Fill it with your favorite beverage. Say a prayer for someone who needs some mercy. Drink.

Sit in Silence. Allow the love of God to wash over you.       Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment